Don't get me wrong, blackberries natural home should always be a crumble or even as a runny dollop of sugary jam. But this blackberry curd is a pretty luxurious alternative and well worth the effort.
550g freshly picked blackberries
2 tbsp lemon juice
400g granulated sugar
110g unsalted butter (cubed)
4 beaten eggs (our girls lay quite small eggs so we used 5)
1. Put blackberries and lemon juice in a saucepan and simmer down for 10 mins or until the blackberries have broken up
2. Sieve the blackberries into another pan using the back of a wooden spoon
3. Add the butter and sugar to the blackberry juice and heat gently till dissolved
4. Turn up the heat a touch and add in the beaten eggs. Stir vigorously until the curd thickens
5. Pour into sterilised jars. This recipe makes between 3 and 4 jars worth
It should keep in the fridge for a few weeks, but once opened probably best to eat within a few days. In our experience, that is unlikely to be a problem.